Become an Alberta Healthy Community. Be part of an exciting opportunity to make your community a healthier place to live, work, play and age! Building a supportive community means creating a space where people have opportunities to make the healthier choice, the easier choice.
Over the past 3 years, our team worked with communities in an applied research project and learned a lot about what makes a community a healthy place to live!
We are now looking for 16 to 20 additional rural Alberta communities to take part in the 3-year Alberta Healthy Communities initiative.
We will work with selected communities to build connections, identify local strengths and assets, and plan and implement meaningful and sustainable action on community priorities. This opportunity is supported by Alberta Health Services, Alberta Cancer Prevention Legacy Fund.
What is the Healthy Communities Approach?
It’s a way of working that supports communities to identify and take action on what is important to them. Using a 5-step process (shown here), the Approach enables communities to promote their health and wellbeing by working together to create healthy places and social spaces for all. Explore the Hub for more information.
What’s in it for Communities?
Communities will receive access to numerous resources, such as:
- Support tailored to your community;
- Training opportunities;
- Guides and toolkits with templates that can be used by community teams;
- Online access to evidence-based materials (including videos and webinars) via the Alberta Healthy Communities Hub;
- Opportunities to share experiences, stories and learnings with other communities; and
- Funding up to $20,000 to become an Alberta Healthy Community
If selected, communities will be invited to participate in research and evaluation activities at various intervals throughout the three year process.
- Eligible communities will be interviewed by phone and selected in January 2019
- Successful applicant communities will be notified by February 2019
Communities will be informed of specific dates within the application process via email.
Have a question? We'd love to hear from you. Send us a message and we'll respond as soon as possible.