Foster a sense of belonging through community programs
How to implement
- Advance community programs and initiatives that create a sense of community belonging, while promoting health and wellbeing. Programs will vary in content and delivery (e.g., community kitchens, walking groups), but should be:
- Inclusive and accessible. For example, address barriers and enhance facilitators to participation, such as transportation or childcare.
- Culturally appropriate and suited to the target audience. To increase cultural appropriateness, respect and integrate community members with lived experience into program planning.
- Remember, making changes to the social environment is complex:
- Collaborate with allied health organizations as much as possible.
- Build multi-component initiatives that include a variety of community strategies (e.g., changes to the built environment, policy development).
- Tailor your initiatives to community members (i.e., ages, backgrounds, abilities, etc.).