Support financial strategies to promote mental health
How to implement
- Support financial strategies to reduce social and economic inequities and make mental health services more affordable.1 For example:
- Provide community mental health and/or substance misuse services at no/low cost.2
- Advocate with other stakeholders to invest funds in community initiatives.1
- Support programs that provide high-quality, affordable and accessible housing to individuals.1
- Call for improvements to mental health benefits to increase access to mental health programs and services.1, 3, 4
Try this: Remind community members about mental health resources available through employee benefits and workplace Employee and Family Assistance Programs (EFAP).
- Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Advisory Group. Respect, recovery, resilience: Recommendations for Ontario's mental health and addictions strategy. Toronto (ON): Minister's Advisory Group; 2010. Available from: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/ministry/publications/reports/mental_health/mentalhealth_rep.pdf.
- Bullock HL, Guta A, Hughsam M, Wilson MG. Rapid synthesis: Examining the impact of and approaches to addressing the needs of people living with mental health issues. Hamilton (ON): McMaster Health Forum; 2016. Available from: https://macsphere.mcmaster.ca/bitstream/11375/19409/1/Examining%20the%20Impact%20of%20and%20Approaches%20to%20Addressing%20the%20Needs%20of%20People%20Living%20with%20Mental%20Health%20Issues.pdf.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for the management of conditions specifically related to stress. Geneva (SW): WHO; 2013. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/85119/9789241505406_eng.pdf;jsessionid=AF4851A63CC7999EC37F8F9F4A8FD702?sequence=1.
- Community Preventive Services Task Force (CDC). Improving mental health and addressing mental illness: Mental health benefits legislation. The Community guide. Washington (DC): CDC; 2012. Available from: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/findings/mental-health-and-mental-illness-mental-health-benefits-legislation.