Reduce access to tobacco products
How to implement
Did you know: Although the Government of Alberta increased cigarette taxes by $1 per 20-pack in 2015, cigarettes in Alberta are still among the most affordable in Canada.1
- Support restrictions on the sale of tobacco-related products (e.g., cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, shisha, waterpipes) to youth.2-5
Did you know: Stronger enforcement of sales laws is needed to successfully reduce youth smoking.2, 6
Try this: Further restrict the sale of tobacco-related products in the community by implementing stronger tobacco retailer licensing laws. Consider implementing strategies in the physical and policy environments to take further action on restricting access to tobacco-related products.
- Campaign for a Smoke-Free Alberta. Alberta tobacco reduction report card. Alberta: Campaign for a Smoke-Free Alberta; n.d. Available from: http://smokefreealberta.com/uploads/csfa%20report%20card%202017.pdf.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Best practices for comprehensive tobacco control programs. Washington (DC): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health; 2014. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/stateandcommunity/best_practices/pdfs/2014/comprehensive.pdf.
- Harvey J, Chadi N. Preventing smoking in children and adolescents: recommendations for practice and policy. J Paediatr Child Health. 2016;21(4):209. Available from: https://www.cps.ca/en/documents/position/preventing-smoking.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Smoking: preventing uptake in children and young people. NICE guideline. London: NICE; 2008. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph14.
- Community Preventive Services Task Force. Community mobilization with additional interventions to restrict minors' access to tobacco products. CDC community guide. Washington (DC): CDC; 2014. Available from: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/sites/default/files/assets/Tobacco-Community-Mobilization.pdf.
- Sully E, Dobbins M. Health-related effects of government tobacco control policies: evidence and implications for public health. Health Evidence. 2016. Available from: https://www.healthevidence.org/documents/byid/28889/Hoffman2015_EvidenceSummary_EN.pdf.