Supporting tobacco reduction policy in schools
How to implement
- Consult with students and staff to plan and implement tobacco-free policies in schools.1-4
- Policies should:
- Emphasize tobacco use prevention and cessation.2, 4
- Incorporate tobacco education in the curriculum, along with wider programming (e.g., school fairs, guest speakers).4, 5
- Consider the cultural, educational and physical needs of students.4
- Provide teachers with training and resources to offer tobacco education.4, 6
Action on Smoking and Health’s School Board Resource Hub includes tools and resources to support smoke-free school policies, including a Model School Board Tobacco Policy and a chart of school board policies across Alberta.
- Gabble R, Babayan A, DiSante E, Schwartz R. Smoking cessation interventions for youth. Toronto (ON): Ontario Tobacco Research Unit; 2015. Available from: http://otru.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/special_youth_cessation.pdf.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Stop smoking services. NICE guideline. London: NICE; 2008. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph10.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta (GA): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health; 2012. Available from: https://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/reports/preventing-youth-tobacco-use/full-report.pdf.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Smoking prevention in schools. NICE guideline. London: NICE; 2010. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph23.
- Harvey J, Chadi N. Preventing smoking in children and adolescents: recommendations for practice and policy. J Paediatr Child Health. 2016;21(4):209. Available from: https://www.cps.ca/en/documents/position/preventing-smoking.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Smokeless tobacco: South Asian communities. NICE guideline. London: NICE; 2012. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph39.